It's imperative when you sprain your ankle to utilize the PRICE method for reducing recovery time.
PRICE stands for
- Protection - Avoid the activities that may cause you to re-injure the ankle, use a cane or crutches if needed.
- Rest - Take at least several days to 10 days to take it easy.
- Ice -10 minutes every 2 hours to decrease edema (selling).
- Compression - A compression bandage such as an ACE bandage will help to decrease edema.
- Elevation - This means high above your heart, this higher the better. Perform ankle pumps while the leg is elevated, while using ice will help the ankle decrease swelling, decrease pain and facilitate an early return to your normal activities.